Botox treatment for migraine available in Calgary ABOver four million adults suffer chronic migraines, experiencing at least 15 affected days per month. Much more than a headache, a migraine is a collection of neurological symptoms that can be incapacitating. This condition is ranked as the sixth most disabling illness globally. Silverado Medical & Aesthetic Clinic in Calgary AB offers botulinum toxin treatment for migraine.
About Botulinum toxin (Botox)Botulinum toxin is a biologic – a prescription medication made from the living botulinum toxin A. This purified protein inhibits release of neurotransmitters. Intramuscular injections of the neuromodulator suppress the body’s central pain processing response that triggers migraine headache. In 2011, Health Canada approved this preventive treatment for chronic migraine.
Who is a good candidate?If you are at least 18 years old and experience 15 or more migraine days per month, with headache lasting four hours or longer, you may benefit from botulinum toxin. In clinical trials, patients reported significant headache reduction a few days after the initial treatment. The second treatment prevented eight to nine episodes per month. Results typically occur within about four weeks.
Important points about botulinum toxin treatment
- Thirty-one injections are made into seven precise points on the head and neck.
- Needles are very fine – thin and only about a half inch long.
- Injections are shallow; just beneath the skin.
- Most people report the sensation as pinpricks or slight pinches.
- An injection session takes about 15 minutes.
- There is no downtime following treatment.
- Re-treatment every 12 weeks is usually recommended.
For more information, call the medical office of Silverado Medical & Aesthetic Clinic at (844) 830-0048.