Calgary dermatologist explains why laser hair reduction is better than waxing
When it comes to eliminating unwanted hair, you have options. Shaving and plucking get rid of the hair, only to have it growing back in just a few days. Waxing eliminates the hair for longer but is a painful process that often results in extreme itching as the hair grows back over the course of several weeks. Laser hair reduction, on the other hand is an effective way to remove unwanted hair for good without the repeated effort of daily or weekly grooming. At Silverado Medical & Aesthetic Clinic in Calgary, we love laser hair reduction because it’s safe and accurate for use on both men and women of all skin types. In the following article, we’ll look at laser hair reduction, it’s benefits, and why it’s a better choice.
What is laser hair reduction?
Laser hair reduction is a cosmetic dermatology treatment that uses light energy to penetrate the tissue beneath the surface of the skin to deactivate hair growth follicles and permanently reduce unwanted hair.
Laser hair reduction can be used on virtually any area of the body and is well loved for its ability to remove hair faster and less painfully than other methods.
How it works:
Laser hair reduction uses an intense beam of light to target the hair follicles at the root. The pigment in the hair absorbs the laser light, destroying the follicle and preventing further growth. Because hair grows in phases, multiple treatments are required for full reduction.
Benefits of laser hair reduction
There are many advantages to choosing laser hair reduction, some of the most notable are:
- It’s safe for use on both men and women
- It’s safe on a variety of skin types (although it’s best suited on individuals with a contrast between hair color and skin color. Ex. Fair skin and dark hair).
- It eliminates sores, rashes, and ingrown hairs that occur as a result of frequent shaving and waxing.
- It saves time on daily grooming.
- It’s safe on almost any area of the body, the most common treatment areas are:
- Bikini area
Request an Appointment
Why laser hair reduction is better than waxing
- It’s temporary – Waxing is a short-term solution that must be repeated when hair grows back, typically around 2 weeks.
- You’ll have to be hairy – In order to be effective, waxing requires some regrowth, typically about ½ cm.
- It can be painful – Waxing involves ripping the hair out at the root, making it quite painful, especially in sensitive areas such as the bikini area.
- It can lead to skin irritation – Regular waxing can lead to skin irritation, rashes, and ingrown hairs that can potentially become infected.
What to expect after laser hair reduction
During your consultation, the medical aesthetician will determine how many treatment sessions you will need in order to effectively reduce hair in the desired area. As a rule, most men and women require between six and ten treatments for optimal results.
Common side effects may include redness, swelling, or discomfort in the treatment area. These are typically mild and will resolve within a few days.
Once treatment is complete, individuals can expect a dramatic reduction in hair in the treated area. If hair does grow back it is usually lighter and finer than It once was. Many individuals will schedule maintenance sessions once every year or two to sustain the results.
Book your laser hair reduction appointment today!
What if we told you that you would never have to deal with the pain and irritation of waxing again? That can be a reality with laser hair reduction from Silverado Medical & Aesthetic Clinic in Calgary. Say goodbye to hours spent grooming excess hair.
In addition to laser hair reduction, Silverado Medical & Aesthetic Clinic offers a full range of medical and cosmetic dermatology services. Or learn more about laser hair reduction or any of the other services we provide, please call us today at (844) 830-0048 to schedule your appointment.